STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS
Recipe from The Healthy Recipes Blog
For more detailed information about this recipe including nutrition information, questions and answers
Total time 50 mins
2 cups Chicken breast, cooked
1/2 cup Cilantro, fresh
1 tbsp Garlic
1/2 Onion, (diced (4 oz.)), medium
1 tsp Oregano, dried
2 Tomatoes, (diced (10 oz.)), medium
1 tsp Kosher salt, coarse
4 tsp Olive oil
1 tsp Cumin, ground
1/2 cup Cheddar
1 cup Mozzarella, part skim
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and brush it with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the poblanos. Cut a thin slice off the tops and remove the core and seeds. Cut a slit down the side of each pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring often, until liquids have evaporated, about 7 minutes. Off heat, stir in the chicken, the mozzarella and the cilantro, mixing well.
- Divide the filling among the peppers, adding it from the top and pressing on it to fill the entire pepper. Place the stuffed peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the poblanos are soft and charred in places, 20-30 minutes (the smell will be amazing!).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and switch the oven to broil. Top the peppers with the cheddar cheese and broil just until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Love the heat of poblano peppers, not too hot with lots of flavor. The mexican flare added to this recipe is very enjoyable to me. You can always substitute a different meat if you like and remove ingredients like cilantro and cumin to make it more like a traditional stuffed pepper.